Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fairy Garden

Hello, friends! It's Spring! Of course that means unpredictable weather.  It's funny that in Nevada, we get snow one day and then beautiful sunny 70F weather a day later. I'm not kidding. 

Since the weather is still up and down, we started a fairy garden. I also started all the transplant-able seeds for the garden, but those are boring to look at when they're at this stage.

We sort of tried to incorporate an outdoor fairy garden last year.  We planted a few drought-tolerant things outside Haley's bedroom window. We added some dollhouse-size furniture and a few Lalaloopsy dolls, and it was great. Well, it was great until the dog decided that it was perfect for him.  I rescued the dolls since they were at risk of getting chewed up. As for the furniture, I rescued those from pee because I caught him mid leg-lift.



It took us a while to find the perfect indoor container for the new fairy garden. We bought a new tuft of Irish moss and transplanted the surviving sedum that was outdoors near the twisty atlas cedar tree. 



I added the fairy garden furniture, which consisted of a table, bench, and armchair, added the bike and a small terra cotta pot turned on its side.  Some thick glass squares from last year's attempt made a nice little path.  Then, the fairy found her garden.


This is just the beginning.  We added some seeds for tiny Johnny Jump Ups, chamomile, yellow alpine strawberries, and wheat grass.  I hope they come up soon because the combination will be really cute!

I'd also like to make some twig fencing. I just need to salvage some twigs from the tree prunings.  

So, that is all we're up to at the moment.  I'm daydreaming of dollhouses, too.

Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, April 15, 2016

Cabinet upgrade

Hello, dear readers!

How are all of you? I have not posted here in months, but I'm enjoying popping to other's blogs or seeing what turns up on Pinterest.  Not too long ago, someone in a forum mentioned that Michael's stores had a few miniature items, if you were lucky enough to find them.

I booked it to the closest Michael's a found this simple, naked cabinet. Hooray!


I sanded it a bit to smooth it. I slopped some ivory paint on it to see how it would look.  Not bad, but it was only the base coat. More ivory paint made the inside look clean. 



After that was really good and dry, I combined 3 shades of bright sky blue, robin's egg blue, turquoise, plus more ivory and painted it on muddled and streaky. A few spots got distressed with sandpaper and an Xacto knife. Finally, I took some tulle fabric, spray painted it bronze, then added it to the doors to look like wire mesh. I really love how it turned out.


Now, for some tiny things to go inside, I'm not sure if this will be a kitchen cupboard with vintage foods or a sewing supply cabinet.  Of course, I went back to Michael's hoping to find another one that I could do in pink, but they were all gone. Maybe I'll get lucky next time.

Thanks for stopping by!