Monday, April 20, 2015

Bricks!

Hi Friends! I'm back with more detail. I'm even a little bit surprised at myself for getting so much done in the last two weeks. I know, my idea of "so much" is different from someone else, but busy moms have only tidbits of time for themselves.

To catch up, I applied paperclay to the entire front portion of the house in phases. I couldn't do the whole wall at once because I am too slow when I have to carve the little bricks with a ruler and X-acto knife. But it turned out well enough and I stopped being so critical of how straight (or not straight and seriously imperfect) my carving turned out after drying.

 
Like before, I overlapped the edges a bit to allow for shrinkage. I trimmed those areas with the X-acto blade after the clay dried to tidy up things. I also enhanced the gaps between some bricks that were not deep enough or shaved down areas that were too thick and lumpy.



I painted up the bricks using a dry brush technique. It took 2 or 3 times to layer up the paint just right. I really like it though. I like it much more than when I did the fireplace on my son's cabin. Also, since I had tried to rush things, I tested painting the damp clay and it didn't work as well as painting dry clay. I stopped and waited for it the whole wall to be ready. Patience paid off.


I ran out of paper clay, so instead of buying another pack, I finished the upper bedroom wall with the white paint and tissue paper stucco technique. It's consistent with the upper portion of the other side wall so it works.



Now I need to seal the painted paperclay bricks with something and apply grout.

I'm starting to think about the windows and doors. I have some bass strip wood I got from Hobby Lobby and Michael's that should take care of most of that.  I also picked up some baseboard molding from Hobby Lobby for the interior trim.

We're entering what we call "birthday season" so my project time will be more limited as birthdays come up and the school year ends. Haley has a science project due this week and Eric has been practicing for the computerized standardized testing at school. There is also the Mini Maker Faire at the end of May.  I know the organizers and I've been invited to show and tell my minis and crafts, but I'm not up to it at the moment. I'd love to go, but I will pass this year.

I will definitely see you again very soon! Bye for now.

Friday, April 17, 2015

So Delicious

Hello again, friends.

I bought some more very yummy dollhouse food. It arrived a few days ago (OK, maybe a week ago) You've heard of Kim Saulter at some point, I'm sure.  I have a few of her adorable sets. She has a Facebook page and an Etsy shop that I watch...like a hawk.

I just recently ordered this fantastic Easter themed baking set. I think the combo of cake, cupcake, and cookies did me in. I love the tiny flower on top of the cake. (Just a note, all these photos came from Kim's Etsy shop and were taken by Kim Saulter)


Also, back at Christmas time, I got one of her Christmas cookie sets. There were tons of decorated sugar cookies, gingerbread men, and a loaf cake.


I've also shown off some of her other cute things, like the French toast set and blueberry pie in my Willowcrest house.


I can be so funny about what to add to a scene for detail, but when it comes to food I have no trouble. I guess I just love food, real or miniature!

I've admitted this before, I'm not so talented with polymer clay. I haven't given it a good shot, but I also have other loves that come first. So, keeping my own talents in mind, I have no problem supporting other artisans. Keep up the cuteness, Kim!

Bye for now!




Thursday, April 2, 2015

More paperclay progress

 Hi Friends!

Hooray for finding time to work on the house!  I had a furlough day this week. I took care of the important things like taking Kid #1 to the dentist, taking myself to the OB/GYN for a baby check up, and a huge grocery shopping trip. Then I had some time in the afternoon to play with the modern house. I got busy with the paperclay some more.

I managed to shave down the yucky spots along the base and patch with fresh clay. While it was damp, I carved in the brick pattern. I let it dry and it was good.  The secret was adding extra glue and not stretching it too thin. I noticed the clay seems to have a shrinkage direction as well. The patch spots dried really fast.



I started going up the front wall with the paperclay too. My rows got a bit skewed, but I was able to poke them with the X-acto blade to straighten them up mostly. I still need to carve off the excess dried clay around the corners and finesse the ends to go with the pattern on the side wall.


Also, I tested out painting the brick. It looks great!!! I dry brushed four colors over the dry clay.  I used craft acrylic in brick red, brown, darker brown, and gray. Not bad for puttering around for an hour.



Now, my plan is to finish the bricking. Once that is all done, I will probably work on the faux cedar siding for the bedroom's front exterior wall. Then after that, I'll deal with custom doors and windows. I still have to order all the right stripwood pieces and some acrylic window material.

Oh, I almost forgot! I just ordered yet another dollhouse. I sprung for the Beachside Bungalow by RGT. See, I HAD to do it!  Miniatures.com sent out a 40% off coupon for April Fool's Day and there is no way to turn down a deal like that.  I'm already picturing it, maybe yellow, maybe weathered gray wood. Who knows how it will turn out, but yay more fun!

See you again very soon!