After a very long hiatus from working on houses, I've picked up where I left off with Haley's dollhouse. That means, assembling the foundation and making some firm decisions on the interior.
First, I've decided to make some pretty significant changes. This was the step that had me hung up for so long. Do I follow the original plan or get creative? I showed Haley her choices and now I can move forward. Thankfully, she's also at an age where she knows what she wants and can tell me. Here is a nice sketch of the house.
I took over the dining table and started to assemble the foundation.
We're opting to take a wall from this years' RGT Build-along kit and
swap it in for the front door. This will make the room wider than what
the original wall allowed. I still have to cut the door opening to fit
the fancy door with sidelights. Then, I need to change the wall upstairs
to match the new width. The porch on the side will be more narrow, but
I'm also thinking about adding a fireplace. There won't be much porch
left after that.
there will be a door from the hallway onto the upper porch. I'll have to chop up the original walls and remake them to fit the door and the double window. I'm
planning on altering the trim and finishing for the gables. The original Victoria's Farmhouse trim is too plain. Fish scale
shingles and gingerbread trim are coming to mind. I want it to be Victorian frilly
and girly and Haley wants it pink pink pink. I already have colors
picked out so it will be pink but not garish like a Painted Lady.
I'd like to stick to a color scheme for this house, so it's more uniform and easy to switch furniture from room to room. The main exterior walls are all painted, except for the bay window parts. Now, I must choose some wallpaper and flooring before I start putting any walls up. I sifted through my huge stash of wallpaper last night, but I need to go (online) shopping for some more.